Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Praise Adaptation Thread......

Discussion in 'Episode 909 - Adaptation' started by Dnae, Feb 6, 2019.

1. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

Huh?

2. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I forgot the letter P

On top of watching the episode twice I have also watched some key scenes from the episode multiple times

• Like Like x 1
  3. PepperAnn

Ohhhhh. LOL Wow!

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Yeah well I am paying the price for having NO ONE to chat with about the episode.

My own damn fault for being impatient

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I mean this thread has two pages and the episode, outside of premiere, has yet to air LMAO

All because I want to talk about it

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. PepperAnn

Lol!!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. EINTKALILFG

EINTKALILFG New Member

Awesome episode. So much tension through the entire thing!

No spoilers but it hit A LOT of what I was hoping for on multiple characters' fronts.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

PAGE 1 :);):p

A “few” of the reasons I thought episode 909 was a great way to kick off the back half of the season.

Not an action driven premier but rather a character driven episode with some great dialogue. It did an exceptional job of laying the groundwork for the remaining 7 episodes of the season.

Change is never easy. But change can prove to be invigorating, renewing, fresh. As fans of the show we have certainly and will continue to be challenged with the inevitable changes of our favorite characters exiting the show in one fashion or another. Yet we also have new characters who have given us hints of becoming fan favorites for future seasons.

Here we go - the reasons I loved this episode
    • The voice over opening, rather than the tried and true “previously on AMCs The Walking Dead” was such a unique twist. I was taken off guard and had to rewind to make sure I had not missed anything.

• There are several moments in this episode that I loved, these small blips stuck with me immediately. So much so that I have watched those “moments” over and over this past week. My first re-watchable moment - Yumiko saves Michonne. It was so quick that if you blink you almost miss the beat of her arrow being the one that saves Michonne from the same fate of Jesus. Thought it was a quiet, subtle, yet completely kick ass way to further drive the point home that this new group is worthy of becoming part of the family.

• Speaking of blinking and missing. Aaron plunging a knife in Jesus’ head so he does not turn. This was moving because while it served the obvious purpose I also saw it as a moment of forgiveness for Aaron, by Aaron himself. He was not able to prevent Eric from turning and unable to bring himself to go after Eric and end his walker existence. But in the moments following Jesus’ death he would be able to prevent the same fate befalling Jesus.

• Michonne and Daryl sharing their regret, sadness over not being able to find Rick’s body. It was a welcome change to see Michonne sharing a close moment of friendship with someone rather than distancing herself from her family

• Moment #2 is a silly one but dammit I giggled out loud. We still have Eugene-isms and this one was hilarious. When they are on their way to bring Jesus back to Hilltop and they happen upon a small grouping of walkers and then Eugene says “the living kind or original recipe?”

• Negan’s midnight stroll. At first I thought Negan had the shovel so he could search for and dig up Lucille. Yet his journey takes him back to the Sanctuary and we saw no attempt on his part to seek out and find Lucille. I am hoping that Lucille is gone. If we are to believe (which I suspect is the goal) in a changed Negan, or a Negan in the throes of change, then the stark reminder of what Lucille represents needs to remain buried.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

PAGE 2 :):p:D

• Judith to Negan as he is about to make his escape - “Nothing out there for you, for anyone”. Later we hear Aaron concede that Michonne was right. Staying behind the walls is the only way to remain safe. That the communities only need to concern themselves with the care of their own. He mirrors the same sentiment that Judith has been taught by Michonne and subsequently shares with Negan. Now we wait to find out what caused such a change in the belief of living for one another, of bringing/bridging the communities together.

• Moment #3 - This one moment left me speechless. Negan finding himself, on his knees, in the wooded opening where Team Family first met Negan on that fateful night back in season 7. When he stands up you could see the sudden realization of where he was standing. I do not know if it was a look of regret per se, but there was something going on with him internally. At the very least there was something that gave him reason to pause for a moment as he realizes he is in the same spot that would prove to be the beginning of his end

• Jesus returns home- Tara laying her hands on Jesus. The Hilltop residents reaction, Enid seeking comfort w/ Aaron. Each resident hammering a nail into the coffin. I thought it was a beautiful way to say goodbye to a beloved character. More importantly I am so thankful that Angela Kang chose to take the path of this death being the catalyst for healing rather than the two communities deepening the chasm that had developed over the last 6 years. It would have been easy to write this as Tara blaming Michonne for the death, since Jesus was out there trying to find Eugene who resides in Alexandria. Relieved she chose not to take this path but rather she gave us a glimpse of both Tara and Michonne having that moment where they remember that through it all they are still family.
      • The overhead shot entering Hilltop was visually stunning and Bear’s music during their arrival (and honestly the entire episode) was exquisite. It has been awhile since I have felt the music as being part of the narrative, but tonight’s episode brought me back to those times when his music was so deeply part of what was being played out before us.
    • The failed interrogation with Lydia laying the groundwork for Henry’s offering of sympathy. **Someone pass me a plate of crow**. Daryl. Okay @Sebrebc take note!! Daryl. Finally, FINALLY he is thinking before reacting. He is formulating a plan. He is being smart. We NEED him to be smart. Using Henry...he knew that by prodding the teenage boy enough to defend the teenage girl that it would afford him the opportunity to eavesdrop on what may prove to be vital information. I have to do it. I have to give some degree of kudos to Daryl (and therefore kudos to Angela Kang and Corey Reed, the writer of tonight’s episode.)

• Negan’s shopping spree. The set design here was amazing. It really did look like an old west ghost town. I love that we are seeing the “old world” structures in a state of decay and being taken back by the natural progression of nature

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

PAGE 3 :):p:D

• Sigh. I do not want to like Luke because I am afraid for him. But dammit, I like him. It is not that the character himself is anything special but rather it is the choices Dan Fogler has made for the character that has me enamored. It is the speech pattern, the body language, those nuances that have me hoping he survives the season.

• Michonne to Daryl - “keeping her here is a risk. You know that. We both do.” Is this a glimpse/clue to the X marks on their backs? It certainly came off as cryptic, as something to take notice of

• Sanctuary - The failed crop fields, water drenched, deserted save for the walkers and rats. Negan’s attempt at giving it a semblance of life by setting up stray pieces of furniture to resemble a home yet still surrounded by the remnants of what once was. His only companion is walker Big Ritchie. Judith was right - there is nothing out there for him.

• Judith sends Negan skidding across the road. Her stance while waiting for her moment, the way her hands tremble while attempting to keep that gun steady. I love this!! I love the Negan and Judith scenes. If it were Carl having these moments with Negan the vibe would not be the same. There is an air of innocence in the interaction between Judith and Negan. She has no real memory of Negan’s bad deeds. She only knows what she has been told and that is juxtaposed by what she herself knows of Negan based on her interactions with him. And while it may be an unpopular opinion I really do like her character and am excited where her journey takes her. I suppose die hard comic fans will forever moan and groan about missing out on the Negan Carl exchanges. The deed is done, stop beating the proverbial dead horse. Embrace the change and find the silver lining. *soapbox moment: if I can come to terms with the death of Jesus then by god anyone can adjust to comic to tv changes* And let’s face it, at her young age she is already a better actor than Chandler Riggs. My favorite line of the entire episode comes after Negan is cursing from his wreck and she is pointing the gun at him and says “LANGUAGE!! I’m a kid asshole!” BAH HA HA

• As creepy as the cemetery scene was in 908 I found the end scene of 909 to be equally as creepy. Daytime Whisperers just standing there. Motionless. Speechless. Empty. Waiting. And how their reveal was filmed as individual shots rather than one wide shot amped up the creep factor IMO. We, as the viewer, were seeing them one at a time just as Luke and Alden were - slowly.
    • Alpha - I love her already. I loved her walker stance, her bent posture. Standing motionless just long enough for Luke to realize that something is just not quite right with the walker. Then she makes her purposeful approach, tossed Yumikos arrow at Luke’s feet, reached behind her, pulled out that sawed off shotgun (Sarah Connor would be proud of that presentation) and she speaks for the first time, “the trail ends here”. She has the makings of being damn scary and intimidating AF.

#30 Dnae, Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. PepperAnn

Damn Danae, good review!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

Wow, Dnae! That's everything! What a great episode.

I can add that seeing Negan so happy with Judith is the way to get me to accept him, if they give him a change of personality. Their scenes are that charming and true.

Re the western vibe, the shot of Negan's face framed against the sky at Sanctuary was as heroic as anything by Ford. Loved those little moments.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Seventh_son

Seventh_son Well-Known Member

Wow, @Dnae. That was one hell of a review! Summed up every moment perfectly!

[​IMG]

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. PepperAnn

She needs to go work for Forbes. ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Gaycandybacon

Gaycandybacon Well-Known Member

I love when they found and interrogated Lydia, Derle/Michonne where playin no games with her. Also Derle smartly shooting the legs of the walkers/whisperers to know which was which was a nice lil touch. Then again in the jail Derle goin nuts on her and Lydia playin it up like she's an innocent little girl. Then Michonne and Daryl having a nice moment about Rick.

The Judith and Negan stuff was fun, "I'm a kid asshole." was great. But I find it hilarious she's the only one who finds Negan after sneaking around all night in Alexandria, and then she is alone in the street when she finds Negan again. The best Alexandria guard is a 9 year old girl lol. I kinda wish they just went with the comic scene where he doesn't leave instead of the Negan adventure, but when he went back to where Glenn/Abe got their heads bashed in was a nice little nod.

The Alpha scene was awesome where she just stopped moving and then all the other whisperers are surrounding them, that was cool way to end the sode.

#36 Gaycandybacon, Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. PepperAnn

The trail ends here!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Great episode. Judith is so adorable. More Judith please!
    And more Judith with Negan!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  19. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

I can't express enough how much I am loving this season. Every episode moves the story forward, the embolisms, the pacing, acting, dialog, everything is 100x better than the last two seasons.

The last two seasons fell deep into that trap of having 4 impactful episodes, 1, 8, 9, 16. This season every single episode is important to the story, to the characters.

The Negan stuff was amazing. Him realizing he left the thriving community that Rick built and went back to the Sanctuary, which is now just a decaying reminder of Negan's failures, surrounded by the dead. The building itself reflected the Saviors, as if the building itself was also dead.

I friggin LOVE Judith. I know, I know. She's written in such a way where I can see some people would just roll their eyes when she's on screen. It's over the top, but that's what I love about her relationship with Negan. The shoulder shrug, the smile, the "really?" look she gets. I can't wait to see more of them.

We got more hints about the events during the jump. Obviously something big happened and Daryl and Michonne made a decision that really pissed people off, more so Michonne and I assume Daryl just followed her lead. Based on their respective receptions at Hilltop. Whatever it was, it was the two of them together. Whatever it was caused Michonne to cut ties with the other communities, feeling it was safer to not travel between communities any longer. I suspect that's one of the reasons Hilltop is so stand offish with her. That moment when they were walking, Daryl's hand on her shoulder, Michonne reaching up to put her hand on his. Great silent moment.

And yes @Dnae , Daryl is returning to his "stand back and solve the problem" characteristics he showed in the early seasons. While everybody else is trying to figure out how to solve a problem, he's figured it out and is moving forward. That's what I always liked about his character. He is smarter than he lets on. From tracking to feeling people out, to figuring out how to determine a walker from a whisperer. That bridge scene was amazing. He used the whisperers advantage against them. They hide within a group of walkers, but once they let on they are human they will be attacked. Daryl knows this and knows they won't "break ranks". Shooting them in the leg was brilliant.

Setting Henry up to connect with Lydia was also brilliant. He knew he couldn't scare the info out of her, but she's a kid so let another kid try to befriend her. Henry is the perfect bait because he is naive and Daryl knows it. He used him and it's working. Of course the downfall is Henry will spill too much info, which we see in the previews for the next episode.

Sakes alive, this is an amazing season.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1