Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

[901]Guess the Ratings

Discussion in 'Episode 901 - A New Beginning' started by Neuropyramidal, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

This one is tougher than steak from a gas station. There is a lot of hype regarding the fresh start and about Rick/Maggie's final episodes. I think we are going to see a bit of a spike over last season's average, at least for the first few episodes. Imma hang my hat on Flotilla Optimistico, and say 10.7 million for the premiere.

Closest guesser gets a fortnight's supply of I'm Having Doubts About Whether This is Butter.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

OH we have not had this thread in quite some time.

Ratings for this season are going to be difficult to gauge at the beginning. And I am quite concerned what will happen to them after Rick's departure. Anyway, no sense in borrowing trouble at this stage of the game.

Season 8 average was around the 7.8 mark. Partly due to those who suddenly loved Carl enough to quit watching. *insert random thought here* Chandler Riggs received a lot of dislike and dismay over his lack of acting chops in seasons 1-7. And a great many fans did not care for his television counterpart. Then season 8 happened and you would think that 99 out of every 100 fans LOVED TV Carl. People are so wishy washy. I hated to see him leave. I liked Carl. Was disappointed about his exit. And yeah I get it, some stories will just not be the same without him. That is not to say that they cannot be just as good, possibly better in the hands of Ms Kang. I digress.

I am not going to hang my hat on Flotilla Optimistico simply because I do not wear hats. Seriously, it is not a good look on me. Anyway, I am going with 9.83 million

Oh and I am guessing that funderpants are so season 6?

#2 Dnae, Oct 4, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

Yea. This is going to be a tough one to gauge.

I'm going to go with 8.5 million. I think a lot of people left the show last year but curiosity and the hype will bring many of them back for 901.

My biggest fear is that people simply turned off for good after s8. We saw a huge drop off between s2 and s3 on ftwd and that season is widely regarded as the best. So no matter how good the show is, I think most of the people who tuned out simply aren't coming back.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Weallgotit

Weallgotit Well-Known Member

At this point and certainly after Andrew leaves, I don't see the ratings averaging much better than they did the last 2 seasons. However, the news of his departure may or should bring back some past viewers. Maybe they will want to witness his last episodes and see how he is sent off. (No damn consolation for those of us who stayed with the show and want him to stay.) Anyway I'm just speculating. But I think the ratings will go up a little as well. I think it will hit double digits so I'm gonna guess on 10.5 million.

• Like Like x 1
  5. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

10.9 I'm adventurous. :p

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. Neuropyramidal

Dagnabbit, you guys locked me in between 10.5 and 10.9! There's goes my shot at eating any I'm Having Doubts About Whether This Is Butter next week!

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

People very rarely stop watching a show for a single reason, unless it's something major. I know someone who quit watching Game of Thrones because they found the Red Wedding too brutal. But that's the exception. Usually it's an accumulation of things through time and then something happens that reaches a tipping point. It's just the final straw, not the only one.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

You picked my number, 8.5. So I'll go slightly for the over on it at 8.6. People have drifted away and I don't think their ad campaign for this season has done them any favors. It's generic and doesn't feel like TWD, right down to the music they have going. Perhaps a montage of Rick scenes past and upcoming season might've been a better hook.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

Are we playing by Price is Right rules? Should have gone with 8.4.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. Neuropyramidal

Nope, just whoever is closest, whether they are over or underpants. ;)

#10 Neuropyramidal, Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  11. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

That is exactly what came to mind for me too. LOL

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

There was an entire season that i played according to Price is Right rules and kept guessing .1 or .01 higher than Neuro (assuming it would be higher i guess) only to find out it didn't even apply!

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. BadassRick

BadassRick Active Member

I'm one of those people who was not a huge fan of TV-Carl, yet at the same time, disliked his death. The reason I felt Carl's death was lame was, not because Carl himself was a great character, but because his presence on the show was central to Rick's character.

Every amazing thing we've seen Rick do on this show, keeping his son safe was always at the heart of it. Everything was done either to protect Carl, or to be a good role model for him.

Without Carl, Rick is just another person surviving in this world - with a bunch of people who didn't travel with him on his great journey, nonetheless. Carl's death, to me, signified the end of Rick Grimes' amazing run.

That being said, I agree that the show still has the potential to be as good, if not better, than it ever was.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

100% agreed. Didn't care about Carl the character as much as I cared about his impact on Rick and the character he would become.

A kid who was old enough to remember the old world yet young enough to grow up in their world. Lori actually described his growth perfectly when she explained that their world would have a stronger impact on him because he would grow up fighting death every day but he knew what the old world was like. I was really looking forward to seeing that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. BadassRick

BadassRick Active Member

While I agree that that is an epic story arc, I doubt the TV show would've been able to successfully pull it off with Chandler Riggs as the actor. Shame. I'm very confident Comic-Carl will accomplish that, though.

16. Weallgotit

Weallgotit Well-Known Member

You had me up until that last sentence.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

#17 Dnae, Oct 9, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  18. Neuropyramidal

Yeah its too bad because I thought the episode was great. I hope more tune in to see what is looking like a fresh start this season. I don't think the AMC Premiere early release helped the ratings either, because those viewers were not counting by Nielsen. And yes the L+3 will be interesting.

19. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

https://comicbook.com/thewalkingdead/2018/10/09/walking-dead-ratings-season-premiere-cut-half/
    "Despite being low for a Walking Dead premiere, the episode was still Sunday's top series on cable TV for adults between 18-49. The horror series has held that crown for seven consecutive years. Another silver lining to take away from this is that AMC did release the Season 9 premiere on AMC Premiere, its commercial-free upgrade option, 24 hours before the live airing of the episode. AMC Premiere saw the single highest day of sign ups in its history ahead of the premiere, so it's likely that the service took away from the numbers of the live Walking Dead episode."

The viewers utlizing AMC Premier are not included in the Nielson numbers and are also not released by AMC (according to an article from ew.com). Now might be a good time to change that directive AMC execs! I would be interested to see the numbers for AMC Premier (in regard to TWD premier episode). While they may have seen a large uptick in new sign ups I cannot imagine it being enough to make up a large portion of the difference.

I hope the live+3 numbers pad those numbers by a hefty amount. Guess we will find that out some time on Friday when the live+3 numbers are released.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Ha I just posted something about AMC Premier!

• Winner Winner x 1