Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Daryl Partially At Fault

Discussion in 'Episode 905 - What Comes After' started by HonestAbe, Nov 5, 2018.

1. HonestAbe

HonestAbe Active Member

Since Daryl didn’t bring Rick to Alexandria like he said he would go intervene on Maggie’s plan I think he’s got a big hand in what happened to Rick. Had he just taken him there then they wouldn’t have fallen into the pit and Rick wouldn’t have had the opportunity to tell him to go on without him.

I do recognize that they may not have learned of the walker herd so there’s that, but Daryl’s decision directly relates to Rick’s fate.

Agree? Disagree?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

Does Jesus have any culpability in this? He knew all this time that Daryl and Maggie were plotting to kill Negan.

What about Rick's culpability? Wasn't he foolish to keep Negan alive just because it was Carl's last request?

Shouldn't have Rick, as an adult, looked at the big picture and considered Negan's crimes and the feelings of his friends and the various communities instead of easing his guilt over failing to protect Carl?

#2 Rapscallion, Nov 5, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I think Daryl would see it that way, yes. Possibly Maggie too about her part in it.

In my opinion though, if we looked at things that way we could place blame on someone (or a string of people) for pretty much every death that has occurred.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Seventh_son

Seventh_son Well-Known Member

Poor Daryl. The writers just love heaping the guilt on him.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Rapscallion

It's all Gimple's doing. Gimple has put Daryl through the wringer ever since he got full control of TWD. :mad:

#5 Rapscallion, Nov 5, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

If anything, it's more Maggie's fault than Daryl. Daryl was playing his role in their conspiracy, Maggie wanted to kill Negan and Daryl's job was to make sure Rick didn't try to stop her. Daryl isn't the one making plans, Maggie is. He was following her lead.

Beyond that, it's never someone's fault. These characters are who they are, they make decisions that they almost always think is in the best interest of the group. In this case Daryl actually has a reason beyond simple revenge, or "justice". He feels that keeping Negan alive is giving the saviors hope that they will rise again. Maggie, on the other hand, simply wants revenge.

Neither wanted to put Rick in danger, they just didn't want him to interfere.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. HonestAbe

HonestAbe Active Member

Yeah I definitely don’t think they wanted Rick in harms way... and I know a million little things always lead to a big thing (in this case Rick’s situation)... I guess I feel more like Daryl’s action was the straw that broke the camel’s back... I don’t like that he deceived Rick but I do like that their relationship got redemption/closure in the pit and later it was Rick’s decision not to hop back on the bike...

I love debating stuff like this :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

Absolutely. It's the characters, the story, the symbolism, and the metaphors that get me going.

Truth be told, I don't like zombie stories. Never have. To me, this isn't a zombie show. It's a story about survivors coming together despite their cultural differences and becoming a family.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Weallgotit

Weallgotit Well-Known Member

I don't blame Daryl for what happened. He did try to get Rick to go with him to get away from the herd and back to their group. I just wish he had tried to hold Rick up back at the camp. Maybe that talk they had while they were in the hole could have been had at the camp. Maybe that could have changed the way things turned out.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lori Grimes

Lori Grimes Active Member

I did blame Daryl for a bit but I guess the times I am screaming at the screen like :"OMG YOU **@%!" are what helps make this a great show. I agree with a previous comment, Iwas never much for zombies but the interaction between people who are pushed to their limits was always a drawcard. The extremes they have to go to under pressure, the reoccurrence of long held morals/values and whether they can stand up to the harsh reality they now live in etc...all great human interest stories and sometimes even inspirational one way or another.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. 8307c4

8307c4 Well-Known Member

*wringer

What does the phrase "through the ringer" mean? Where did it originate?
    The phrase is actually "through the Wringer." Not "ringer."

A wringer is an old-fashioned machine used on laundry day that wrings out wet clothing to remove the water. Hand-operated, it's got a crank that you turn with one hand while feeding the cloth between two rollers with the other. The cloth gets pressed between the rollers to get rid of the water. It comes out the other side stiff and pressed into an odd shape, but no longer dripping with water. It looks beaten up. It's been through the wringer.

The expression means being put through a difficult experience (like a tough, 3-hour exam or a hard physical task). You'd say, "He put me through the wringer" or "I feel like I've been put through the wringer."

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Rapscallion

@8307c4, I never knew wringer was spelled that way. Thanks. :D

#12 Rapscallion, Nov 6, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  13. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

Eh. Situations like this, I tend not to put blame on characters usually because there's no real way to predict things like that happening.

Now, springing up to punch a psycho who's bashing your friends' heads in with a baseball bat while you're all being held defenceless against your will...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Oh boy.....here goes. I do not lay any of the blame for this at Daryl's feet nor at Maggie's feet. There crystal ball was in the shop therefore they were not able to see into the future that it was going to go tits up

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Apollonia

Apollonia Well-Known Member

Who are you and what you done to the Daryl hating Dnae?

I agree with the imposter Dnae. No it is not Daryl's fault. Nor is it Maggie's. The herds were heading to the respective villages (be it Hilltop, Alexandria etc.) anyway. Rick knew about this and was bound to be out there at some point.

Now about Daryl. Hasn't he suffered enough people? He went 3 years not speaking any real lines. He had ALMOST perfected the morose glare and grunting one word answers. And so far this season he has been able to speak, bathe and join the living. Of course judging by previews, he will be going back to mute Daryl talking only to the trees.

Give him a buy on this one and not blame him!

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I know, I know...but the facts are the facts. I cannot allow my "personal" feelings to intervene
    [​IMG]

Now to mute Daryl. I think that Daryl is long gone. I think Daryl's self imposed isolation will be short lived and he will be back to chatty Dixon mode in short order

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. HonestAbe

HonestAbe Active Member

I’m a horror fan but I never liked zombie flicks either... but the second I started watching TWD I was hooked and it is definitely because of all the characters and the battling between groups for land, food, survival, etc. It’s one of the only shows in recent years that I have stuck with for the long haul...

Dawson’s Creek during my middle/high school years was probably the only other:D lol

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

Daryl's cry face is what prompted my first real tear of the entire episode! How can anyone blame him? He didn't know or want this to be how it turned out.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Yep, the Daryl ugly* cry face hit me in the feels also.....

*come on, I had to add some degree of Daryl negativity otherwise I lose my street cred!!

• Funny Funny x 3
  20. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

My only prior TV relationship where I was attached to the characters was Lost